Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Moving and Organizing

About a week and half ago, I bought another house. I was after a smaller footprint, less yard, less to clean and no extra rooms that we never use and yet collect dust, doggie hair and empty cups. It was a cute house and came with an outbuilding which would have made a great studio, which I didn't currently have. But the deal changed after the home inspection and we decided to not take on the problems that came with that house. We were disappointed and felt blue for a while until in the middle of the night I woke up with a great new plan. 
It involved changing just about every room in our current house to make my work easier and to give me the studio I wish I had. This required negotiating with Dave to put him in a smaller bedroom and then I could have the master for my sewing, painting, collage and polymer clay stuff. Plus I would get a big walk-in closet to store my yarn!!!
I have been wanting to find a better way to store my yarn and get it out of the bins that were wedged into a small closet. It's always the bin on the bottom that has the yarn I was seeking so lifting and moving the others was big hassle. 
I called on my pal and fellow knitter Patsy to come help me unload these into my new hanging yarn system. 
This idea came from several photos on Pinterest and I knew it would work for me. All of these  storage hangers came from Walmart.


I also have my quilts in this closet, hung on skirt hangers to avoid creases. Because of this organizing binge I can now find things when I need them. Hurray!
Full disclosure: I still have yarn in the garage, in plastic bags, and eventually all will find a home in this closet. Then came the work to make the rest of this master bedroom into a studio.
This is the 'Before' picture and even this is two days into the decluttering. There is a big en suite bathroom that had to be dealt with too, and I took it over just in the nick of time before it was hopeless. 
Here is the new studio with mostly everything that was stored or unreachable over the last two years.

I'm exhausted from all the furniture moving, cleaning and deciding what to toss and what to keep, and yet ecstatic to have a studio again, and such a bright and sunny one at that. The one bookcase is awaiting stuff that is up high in another closet. I'll get to it, maybe tomorrow... or after my nap.


The living room, dining room and hall bathroom got makeovers too, but this is the really good one, in my humble opinion. And of course, now I don't want to move.
By the way, Dave likes his new room and so does his canine companion, Tony.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic plan and arrangement. PDB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I thought for a moment you were actually moving again! Glad you found a way to make the current house work for you both and that Dave likes his new room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love seeing the creativity you put into your home spaces. So awesome you could get your studio without a complete house move!! It’s beautiful!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this - and those red chairs. Source please? Also, somewhere you mention a YouTube video that gave you some organizing tips, but can’t find it now.

    ReplyDelete